Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use quality fresh ingredients for this salad
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 1 large red onion
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 4 ounces feta cheese, use Greek feta if available (100grams)
- 12 black olives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- sea salt
- 1 pinch dried oregano, extra to sprinkle over salad
- Slice the tomatoes, onion and cucumber. Combine.
- Sprinkle over the 1 tablespoon of oregano and pour over the olive oil. Add the capers. Toss the salad lightly.
- Just prior to serving sprinkle cubed feta cheese and olives over the top of the salad. Sprinkle with some extra dried oregano and sea salt if desired.
- You can drizzle over some extra olive oil if desired.
This is a delightful salad with a wonderful blend of flavors. I made this for the Make Mine Vegan Challenge for ZWT9. To make it vegan I made a feta cheese substitute according to a recipe I found on happyherbivore.com. I layered the ingredients rather than mixing them but otherwise prepared the salad exactly as written.
What a wonderful explosion of flavors! Like one other reviewer, I added a bit of vinegar - I had some white balsamic in a little spray bottle, so I squirted a few times. Used a mixture of black Greek olives and green fresh cured olives. Sliced the cuke real thin and used as a base for the other stuff - it seemed to absorb the flavors of the oregano and EVOO nicely.<br/>My friend said she wish I could give it 12 stars!<br/>made for ZWT9 - Soup a Stars
Made for a quick lunch. As good as greek salad gets - especially if you have 'real' vine-ripened tomatoes.