Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
It is a traditional accompaniment to snacks such as spring rolls, or to barbecued foods.
Make and share this A Jad - Cucumber Pickle recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 5 thangkwa (cucumber)
- 2 tablespoons hom daeng, finely sliced (shallot)
- 1 tablespoon nam som paep (palm sugar)
- 1 tablespoon haeo, finely sliced (water chestnut)
- 1 tablespoon prik chi fa daeng, sliced (red Thai jalapenos)
- Slice the cucumber in four lengthwise, then slice the pieces to segments about an eighth of an inch thick.
- Slice the tops of the chilies (green ones can be used if red are not available, but Thais like the color contrast), tap out any loose seeds and discard, then slice the chilies across into thin rounds.
- Slice the shallots and water chestnuts.
- Combine and serve. This will keep 2 or 3 weeks in a refrigerator.
I used regular sugar, and when it came to the 'Thai jalepenos' I used what we call 'Thai peppers' here in NM. They're little, thin, and short, not like a jalepeno but sure more hot! Anyway, this was excellent.
DH fixed this to go with the Korean dinner he was fixing. The cool with the hot was a wonderful one two taste sensation. We and our guests truly enjoyed this one.