A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry. Puff pastry shells filled with French Brie, layered with an A-1 infused black cherry sauce and topped with dark chocolate covered roasted walnuts. A seasonal, savory delight.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh sweet black cherries, pitted and chopped or 2 (16 ounce) canspitted sweet black cherries in syrup, drained with syrup reserved
- 1⁄3 cup of finely granulated bakers sugar (1/2 cup if substituting sour canned cherries)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce (1 1/2 if using canned)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 8 ounces french double cream brie cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen prepared puff pastry shells, 6 prepared according to package directions
- 6 oranges, peels thinly sliced for garnish
- 3 ounces cherries, halved for garnish
- Bake puff pastry shells in the oven according to packaging instructions.
- While pastry is baking, prepare the savory cherry mixture.
- Add the chopped cherries to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the cherries until they are hot. Fresh cherries will begin to emit juices. You may want to add 2 tablespoons of the reserved cherry syrup to the pot if using canned.
- Using a tablespoon at a time, whisk all the sugar into the cherries, stirring constantly.
- Add the orange zest, continue whisking.
- Add the A-1 Steak Sauce 1 teaspoon at a time, continue whisking.
- When the mixture is aromatic and you can clearly detect the A-1 sauce in the mixture, add the corn starch one tablespoon at a time. Whisk constantly until fully blended and the cherry sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat to cool.
- Prepare a bain marie to melt the chocolate. Use a glass or aluminum bowl that sits snugly on top of a large sauce pan and boil the water on high heat. When the water is hot, add the chocolate.
- At this point, your puff pastry shells should be almost done, check to avoid burning. If they are done, remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees. Set the shells aside.
- In a small frying pan, add the chopped walnuts and toast until the walnuts are aromatic.
- When the chocolate has melted in the bain marie, fold the walnuts into the chocolate and stir. It will be clumpy in appearance. Leave it on the bain marie until plating.
- Take one tablespoon of room temperature French Brie and spoon into the pastry shells. Use your fingers to move all the cheese into the bottom of the puff pastry shell.
- Return the shells with the Brie into the oven for 1-2 minutes until molten. Remove from oven.
- Spoon the cherry mixture on top of the Brie in each shell and then add 1/2 teaspoon of the chocolate walnuts on top. Use your fingers to evenly distribute the walnuts across the cherry sauce.
- Plate each dish with some reserved cherry sauce, a few cherries on the side, half a cherry on top of each tartlet and the orange peel garnish on the side. Serve hot so that the cheese and cherries are oozing out of the tartlet when cut.
- Serve with a delicious Portuguese port for dessert or a French rose as an appetizer! Bon Appetit!
Love the play between the black cherries and the brie!