6 Week Makeover Hearty Beef Stew (Low Fat , Low Sodium)
- In a dutch oven or large pot, sear beef over medium high heat, stirring to brown all sides.
- Add onion and garlic plus 1 tbsp of water and continue cooking until onion is translucent and softened.
- Add spices, stirring quickly to coat for 1 minute. Add water, wine and 2 cups potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to break down and dissolve, thickening broth.
- Add remaining potatoes and additional veggies, as well as additional 1-2 cups water if necessary.
- Return to boil and cook over low heat for another hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Tip: To cut 3 hours of time, after adding the wine and water, add all vegetables including 2 cups of potatoes, replace 2 cups of potatoes for 1/2-1 cup of leftover mashed potatoes and add it as well (this will thicken the stew). Just cook for another hour until veggies are tender.