Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another FoodNetwork recipe by Aaron McCargo Jr. Original recipe recommends Bob Evans sausage.
- 8 ounces spicy sausage
- 2 1⁄4 cups canola oil, divided (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) boxchicken flavored bread stuffing mix, made according to box instructions
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and drop dime-sized balls of sausage inches Cook until golden brown (12-15 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the 1/4 cup of canola oil to the pan and stir in 1/2 cup of flour. Stir to creat a roux; cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring as you pour. Bring to a simmer. Continue stirring until it thickens (6-8 minutes).
- In a separate saucepan, heat 2 cups of canola oil on medium-high heat (350 degrees).
- In a large bowl conbine the stuffing, parsley, thyme, and scallions. Take a tablespoon of stuffing and wrap it around a sausage ball, covering completely. Set aside.
- When done, dredge balls in remaining 1/2 cup of flour then carefully drop them into the hot oil and fry until golden brown (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Turn off heat to the gravy and add the fried stuffing balls. Stir gently to coat; then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.