Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
a simple layered dish that is so easy to make. Makes a superb dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced, and divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced, and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, undrained and divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, undrained and divided
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) canfat-free low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- Brown ground chuck in non stick skillet, then create the following layers in slow cooker.
- Layer 1, 1/4 of potatoes, 1/2 of the onions, salt, and pepper.
- Layer 2 half can of corn.
- Layer 3 one fourth of the potatoes.
- Layer 4 half can of peas.
- Layer 5 one fourth of the potatoes, mixed with remaining onions, salt, and pepper.
- Layer 6 remaining corn.
- Layer 7 remaining potatoes.
- Layer 8 remaining peas and water.
- Layer 9 ground chuck.
- Layer 10 mushroom soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
I was sure this would be a hit and it was. I keep my ground beef in one pound packages in the freezer so I cut the meet down to one pound and used frozen peas. I was also dismayed to find I didn't have enough potatoes and all the stores were closed for Victoria Day. I substituted frozen hash brown patties and they worked out beautifully. Next time I'll use the sliced potatoes called for in the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
This was so easy and very tasty...just the thing for a winters day.
The entire family enjoyed this, and the only change I made was to pour some good old onion Bisto (the UK's favourite brand of gravy!) over when I served it, due to the insistence of the kids.
Thanks for a really economical,simple and tasty recipe.
This was very hearty and tasty, and boy did it make a lot of food!! We have big appetites but DH and I agreed that there is enough here for two family dinners (paired with a green salad). I used 1 lb ground beef and about 2 lbs potatoes. For the veggies I used the peas then half corn and half green beans, all frozen. The only change I will make in the future is to add a bit more salt, maybe a sprinkle on each layer. Thanks for posting! Made for Went to Market tag.