Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A southwestern dip sure to please the masses. It can even be made 1 day in advanced and refrigerated.
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed, and chopped
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, cut into rounds (about 20)
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine the refried beans, 1/4 cup of the salsa, the chili powder, cumin, and oregano in a medium bowl. Spread evenly over the bottom of a 9-inch round ceramic casserole dish (at least 2 inches deep) or an 8-by-8-by-2 1/4-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, red onion, cilantro, and onion powder in a small bowl. Spread over the top of the beans mixture.
- Combine the bell pepper and the remaining 1 1/4 cups salsa in a small bowl. Gently spread over the sour cream mixture, being careful to not mix the layers. Top with the cheese and jalapeno and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.