Zahluk (Tunesian and Moroccan Eggplant Puree (Spread))
photo by twissis
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 kg eggplant (3)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 180°C Discard stalk part of eggplants, put them on a tin and cook them for an hour in the middle of the oven. Let cool.
- Halve eggplants and use a spoon to remove the flesh. Discard the skin. Put flesh into a bowl and use a fork to mix in cumin, minced garlic clove and olive oil. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Put into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with flat bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is my second experiment with an eggplant spread. The other was very Greek and I loved it, but I really enjoyed this one too. The cumin and cilantro take this a whole new direction and really shine. I did use the whole lemon as well as lots of cracked black pepper on top. I will be making this again. I now have a serious eggplant obession. Thank you tigerduck!
DH & I are esp fond of eggplant & this did not disappoint. I used my hand-held blender tool, so it was a snap to fix! It was equally east to eat too! My pic shows it simply w/crackers as an appy spread, but it would be great w/crusty bread & DH even used it to top roasted potatoes we had for dinner tonite. We liked this a lot, duck. Thx for posting!
Very nice eggplant salad. I found I needed more olive oil and lemon juice than the quantity called for, but that's personal taste - and we all have our own! Also used Toasted Spice Blend (Africa - Morocco) Recipe #170871 along with the cumin as seasonin (a 1/2 tsp) and I thought it went great with the salad.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Cooking is my passion!