Yummy Low Cal-Low Fat Pineapple Bread Pudding
photo by CookinDiva
- Ready In:
- 4 cups day-old bread, cut in cubes
- 3⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits in juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Coat a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the bread cubes in the casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the egg substitute, sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the pineapple and juice and mix thoroughly.
- Pour over the bread cubes in the casserole dish.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least two hours-- or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Uncover the casserole dish and pour the melted butter evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
SUPERB! This was totally awsome. Pretty guilt free and yummy. Made this for Super Bowl Sunday. Family was impressed and delighted! I had mixed feelings about this recipe because of so many reviews stating on how "mushy" it turned out. Mine came out perfecto! I used a multi-grain bread and followed the recipe perfectly. Was super easy too. The only reason I can think it came out too mushy is perhaps they did not use enough bread and or did not leave it in the fridge over night. I noticed that two hours in the fridge it still looked kind of "runny" so in fear of it being mushy I left it in over night. I would NOT change a thing!
I feel really horrible leaving such negative feedback on this, but this was a HUGE disappointment. I was really excited about this recipe, since I love pineapple and I love bread pudding. Also, I'm on a low-fat diet. I followed the recipe exactly, but ended up with a horrible, mushy mess. I tried baking it even longer in hopes of getting some of the liquid to firm up, but that didn't help either. No one in my family could even eat it; not even with the addition of whipped topping. We ended up throwing the entire thing out :-[ I *might* give this one another try, since everyone else's reviews were very good. Unfortunately, my experience wasn't the same. Sorry :-[
see 7 more reviews