Yellow Squash Butter Cracker Casserole
I make this alot during the summer when the squash is fresh. One of our favorite casseroles in the summertime.
- Ready In:
- 4 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 35 round buttery crackers, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in a small amount of water.
- Cover, and cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well, and place in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese.
- Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixture.
- Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is an easy and delicious side dish. Was looking for something different to make with yellow squash and I got rave reviews from everyone that ate it. Even my kids went back for seconds! I sauteed the squash and onions together until they were soft and then threw everything together and popped in the oven to basically melt the cheese and brown the top. It probably took only 20 minutes in the oven. Yummmy!