Wild About Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, minced (optional)
- 1 -2 celery, minced (optional)
- 1⁄16 ounce dried black trumpet mushrooms
- 1⁄16 ounce dried wood ear mushrooms
- 3 1⁄2 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces fresh oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 6 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, just leaves removed from stems
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint cream
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 cup hot water till softened.
- Remove mushrooms and drain liquid through cheesecloth and saving liquid and discarding sandy bits.
- Chop mushrooms set aside.
- In the drained hot liquid and crushed pinch of saffron.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Saute onions, garlic and all the mushrooms season with thyme, salt and pepper about 5 minutes. Optional carrot and celery may be added along with onions.
- Add sherry reduce to half.
- Add chicken stock and liquid reserved from mushrooms simmer 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot melt 4 tablespoons butter then add flour to make a thick paste whisk in 1 pint of cream.
- Then whisk into soup.
- Using a hand blender puree the soup to a nice consistency.
- Let simmer 5 more minutes stirring so not to burn.
- Serve with soup topped with a little extra sherry.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!