Whole Red Snapper in Szechuan Hot Sauce
My Mom would prepare this dish using the whole fish. I prefer fillets. Adjust the amount of hot bean sauce to fit your guest taste.
- Ready In:
- 2 (8 ounce) red snapper fillets (or whole red snapper)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Rub the fish with soy sauce and dry wine mixture.
- Let the fish fillets marinated in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, saute the fish fillets for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the fillets, add garlic, green onion, ginger, chili bean sauce, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil before adding the fish fillets back to the skillet.
- Braise the fish in the sauce for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 tsp of water, stir in the sauce and cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle with sesame oil (optional) and serve immediately with steamed rice and your favorite steamed vegetables.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This sauce was very tasty. My bean sauce was oriental "black bean garlic sauce". Did add a little more sugar than called for (to taste) as the vinegar was quite strong. I think overall though, will use a different fish type next time. Snapper tends to be very fishy in flavor, which I thought would be cut by the sauce, but it wasn't. Will use recipe again with sole, tillapia or mahi-mahi next time.
Outstanding recipe. It works well on every fish I've tried it on, except salmon and tuna. I prefer whole fish (see photo). I've used this recipe on bluefish, sea bass, striped bass, talapia, and red snapper. We love spicy so I add a bit more Chili bean sauce and delete the corn starch. Prep time is fast and effortless.