Welliver's Cream of Onion Soup
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1/2 cups light cream
- crouton (optional)
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter or margarine; add onions.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are very tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and chicken broth. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minutes more.
- Add cream. Cook and stir till heated through.
- Top with croutons, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a nice smooth soup. It was a little on the bland side, so I added some hot paprika and more pepper. I also added some red pepper flakes. It is very simple to make and was good on a cold winter day. I think this would be great with some shredded chicken added in too. Made and Reviewed for Please Review My Recipe tag - Thanks! :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a grandmother who loves having the grandkids around. My son is currently living with me (on a short term basis) so I get to see and spend time with his kids more than I ever had, and that's a great thing. I love trying new recipes and since I have found RecipeZaar, the new dishes have been streaming. Sometimes I think the kids would prefer a little break, but until they speak up, it's something new for them about everytime they visit with us. I don't consider myself a 'cook,' I can only follow recipes. To me a cook is someone who can come up with their own recipes and have success at it (like my daughter).