Weight Watchers Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow peppers, cut into 2 inch long thin strips
- 4 ounces red wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, fire roasted recommended
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat fusilli
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage stirring and breaking up meat with back of wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightlycolored and crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporate, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.
- auce is also good over rice.
- Toss in some fennel seeds for even greater flaver.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"