Watershed Restaurant Sweet Potato Casserole
photo by Niza D.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 5 lbs small sweet potatoes (about 10 potatoes)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ceylon cinnamon (or ground cinnamon sticks)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar (white)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened (to grease the baking dish)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons homemade baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ceylon cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut up
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Wash the sweet potatoes and put them on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until they are very tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before peeling.
- Put the peeled sweet potatoes into the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or a whip attachment.
- Mix the hot sweet potatoes on low speed to begin mashing them.
- Add the butter and mix until it is absorbed.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and both sugars and mix until they are thoroughly blended.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add in the heated milk.
- When the milk is incorporated, taste carefully for seasoning and add more salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, or sugar as needed.
- Thoroughly grease a 9x13x2 inch baking dish with the softened butter and pour the sweet potato mixture into it.
- Put the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Use your fingers to work the chilled butter into the mixture until it resembles oatmeal with some large pea size pieces of butter in it.
- Stir in the chopped pecans and mix well.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30 to 45 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crisp and the sweet potatoes are set but still slightly loose in the center.
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!