Watermelon, Tomato and Cheese Salad
What's the watermelon doing in this recipe? That's what I asked myself too, but it's an awfully good combination! I've made this several times, and it's based off of a recipe I cut out of the NY Times a while ago. Really nice for a spring or summer side dish.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups seedless watermelon, cut in 1 inch cubes or balls (reserve juice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes or 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup gorgonzola or 1/2 cup Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro or 1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Combine watermelon, tomato, cheese, scallions and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of watermelon juice, oil, vinegar and cayenne and gently toss with salad.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Loved this salad! I used gorgonzola this time, but will try other mixtures. I added a healthy spoonful of finely diced garlic and used a white wine vinegar. I carved about 1/2 of a watermelon...ate a bit as I prepped :) and kind of eyeballed all the ingredients...adding sea salt and coarse pepper with the cayenne... served in 1/4 "watermelon bowls" for fun, it made a main course for two with TONS left over...it's even great the next day after it sits for a bit and the flavors blend (but I like leftovers!!)- Fun, different idea...wonderful twist on salad flavors...a new way to beat the heat on a summer evening yet still make a nice "event" for dinner. - Thanks Kumquat the Cat's friend!