Waikiki Beach Chicken
photo by Halcyon Eve
- Ready In:
- 1hr 32mins
- 1 chicken, cut up (I use 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 bouillon cube (chicken)
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Coat chicken with flour.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and brown chicken on all sides.
- Remove to a shallow roasting pan.
- Arrange pieces skin side up.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare sauce: Drain pineapple syrup into a 2 cup measuring cup.
- Add water to make 1 1/4 cups.
- Mix in cornstarch to dissolve.
- In medium saucepan combine sugar, syrup with cornstarch, vinegar, soysauce, ginger and bouillon cube.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour over chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add pineapple slices and peppers.
- Bake 30 minutes more.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have been making this recipe since the 70's when Betty Crocker published it. It is a family favorite. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts cut up into pieces or I use chicken tenders. I also substitute red or yellow pepper for green. I use crushed pineapple if that is what I have on hand and sometimes if I make a large amount I use crushed and chunked pineapple together. I don't use bouillion cubes but I do use a tsp. of chicken base. Served over white or brown rice and you have homemade sweet and sour chicken good enough for company.
Made this for dinner last night. DD's liked it but didn't want seconds. DS loved it and even had thirds. I ate til I was nearly ashamed of myself and DH had thirds also. I had some of the sauce leftover and will eat it with rice today. I used unsweetened pineapple and Dh thought that they were a little too tart but I thought it was perfect!!Used boneless chicken that I cut into strips and instead of baking in oven I poured sauce over the browned chicken,turned on med.low and simmered about 20 minutes! Will make often!
see 1 more reviews