Venison ( or Ground Beef) & Potato Casserole
This is a great comfort food. I use ground venison but you could use any ground meat. It melts in your mouth and is a fix it and forget it kind of recipe. You can do it in the crockpot or throw it in a 350°F oven for an hour or so and call it done. I got this recipe from the recipe book that came with one of my crock pots. Use whatever vegetables you like or just use the leftovers from the past few days, that's what I usually do.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 2 lbs ground venison, browned & drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Combine first 7 ingredients.
- Pour into crock pot or baking dish.
- Combine potato flakes, sour cream and water. Spread over venison mixture.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 8 hours (HIGH for 4).
- Sprinkle with cheese 30 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We really enjoyed this recipe. I didn't use ground venison, I used shredded, because it was what I had left over from a deer ham. I did cut back on the cook time a little because my crockpot gets pretty hot and it was done at 3 hours on high. Due to a last minute interruption, I didn't get the cheese put on in the last 30 minutes, so I sprinkled it own right before serving and it melted fine. Thanks for the great recipe.Reply