Mexican Potato Casserole
This is from a website Mennonite Girls can Cook
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 medium potatoes, with peel
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 7⁄8 ounce taco seasoning
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and place in greased casserole dish.
- Melt butter. Stir in taco seasoning.
- Pour over the potatoes and stir to coat well.
- Bake uncovered at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Stir -- bake 10 minutes longer.
- Brown and crumble beef; add onion and cook until soft -- then drain.
- Stir in salsa and chopped peppers.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I love this! I add a can each of black beans & corn to the beef & onion mixture along with the salsa, letting it simmer for a few minutes before layering over the potatoes. I skip the bell pepper if I don't have one on hand, and it's still delicious.<br/><br/>This is very tasty! Two out of three of my kids agree, and the third one doesn't like much of anything. It's also quick & easy. Thanks for a great recipe!
We were in the mood for something spicy after all the rich Thanksgiving fare, so I chose this for a quick meal. It's great, especially since most people usually have all the ingredients on hand. I cut the butter down to 2 Tbls. and used 1/2 ground turkey with 1/2 lean ground beef and topped with reduced-fat cheddar cheese. I sauteed the onion and pepper together with the meat. This would be good with corn &/or black beans added in. Tasty, quick weeknight meal! Thanks for sharing!