Vegetarian Cheese Loaf
I got this recipe from a lady at my Mom's church. She makes it for all of her vegetarian friends (my mom is a vegetarian). We liked it very much even though we do eat meat. It is easy to make and not too involved like some of those vegetarian recipes can be.
- Ready In:
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope from a 2 envelope box of lipton's dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped in a food processor (just until well chopped but not a meal texture)
- 3 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup white button mushrooms, grated (before you grate them, clean them with a moistened paper towel but don't wash them IN water because )
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- mushroom gravy, to ladle over the top of each serving
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Put into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or a 8x8 casserole that also has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted in center after 45 minutes to see if it is done. Some ovens may take the 50 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Serve with mushroom gravy (or any you like) over each slice.
- If you double the recipe, don't double the cottage cheese.