I made this delicious pie today. It is so tasty with some vegan gravy on top. I did change some of the ingredients to suit my tastes. I made my Easy Spelt Pie Crust for this and the two complimented each other perfectly. I got the recipe from this site: http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/vegan/vegantourtiere.htm
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup of uncooked millet, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (whole or ground)
- 1⁄2 cup oats (flaked)
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cloves or 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- Combine rinsed millet with 1 cup of water in a medium sized saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to minimum, and cook until millet has absorbed all the water, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let millet stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- In large frying pan, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add oat flakes, cooked millet, sunflower seeds, spices, tamari, nutritional yeast and vegetable broth, combine well.
- Pour the mixture into a pie shell and cover with second layer of pastry. Bake at 350F for approximately 25 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned.
- Serves 8.