photo by Sweetiebarbara
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (mashed)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano (crushed)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (finely crushed)
- 1 lb veal (6 slices - 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (cut into 6 thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until golden.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, oregano, pepper, and parsley.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup parmesan cheesewith bread crumbs.
- Dip veal into egg, then into cheese crumb mixture.
- Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and saute veal until golden, turning only once.
- Pour 1/2 the tomato sauce into baking dish.
- Place veal and mozzarella cheese in alternating layers in dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over veal and cheese.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese melts slightly.
- Serve with capellini, crusty bread, and a salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have been making both chicken and veal parm like this for over 40 years. I thought I was the only one who layered it in a cassarole dish. A couple of things I do differently, I add parsley to the bread crumbs and parm cheese, And I coat the veal in the bread crumbs first, then egg, and then bread crumbs again this makes the bread crumbs to sitck. Try it!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with my husband and our cat, Lizzie Borden. We had a wonderful dog, and now have 3 more cats to keep us company.