Vanilla Yogurt (Homemade)
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 20mins
- 4 cups milk (your choice whole-skim)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar (Splenda or honey)
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt starter (unflavored plain yogurt with active cultures)
- Set 1/2 yogurt starter out to warm to room temperature.
- Heat the milk to almost a boil.(I like to microwave in a glass bowl for 5 minutes on high then 2 minutes on medium). Cool the milk (to a "barely warm"/ babies bath temperature) (cool water bath works well). Add dry milk, vanilla and sweetener of your choice; stir well.
- Stir in yogurt starter (do not whip but mix very well!).
- "Cook" the yogurt using your preferred method and time (longer makes a firmer, more tart yogurt. I like to cook about 12 hours). Chill 4 hours before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used the 1T of vanilla and skipped the sugar/sweetener. I really liked the result. The yogurt definitely had a vanilla flavor and fragrance but wasn't overly sweet. I used the thermos method as in recipe #9955 to cook the yogurt. I agree 12 hours is a good cooking time resulting in a creamy not-quite-firm "pudding" texture. Delicious, princess buttercup.
see 7 more reviews