Unstuffed Pepper Bake
photo by jkarenj
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 1 1/2 cups yellow bell peppers or 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice or 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) package finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute ground beef, onions, peppers and garlic for 10 minutes, or until beef is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off excess fat and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes, rice, Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Spread mixture evenly into a 13x9-inch baking dish and top with tomato sauce and remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My family likes stuffed bell peppers, but, I'm not going to lie, they are a hassle to make. So I decided to go this route. The only rice I had on hand was a box of red beans and rice, and man-o-man, did it being it to a whole other level. Also used shredded mozzarella cheese, as that's what I had. Unstuffed is definitely the way to go!!