Mexican Pork Stew
photo by mightyro_cooking4u
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatillos, husks discarded, rinsed with warm water and quartered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (9 ounce) box frozen corn
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (here I used 6 cups or 3 cans)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fine cornmeal
- Heat broiler.
- Arrange tomatillos on a large sheet pan and broil 6 inches from heat until lightly charred, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Heat oil in a 5-6 qt heavy dutch oven with a tight fitting lid until hot but not smoking and brown pork in batches.
- Transfer pork to a bowl.
- Add to pot the onion, garlic, jalapeño, oregano and cumin and cook over moderate heat until onion is softened. A.
- dd tomatillos, broth, 1/2 cup water and browned pork to pot. Bring just to a boil and simmer, covered (do not boil)until pork is tender (about 45 minutes).
- Stir in beans, corn, cilantro and cornmeal and simmer, uncovered until slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, chopped white onion, sour cream, wedges of lime, and additional jalapeños.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in athens, ga and have a seasonal peanut brittle making business. I also do some catering and personal chefing. For fun i like gardening, listening to music, reading magazines and cookbooks, playing tennis, playing with my dogs (2 labs, 1 yorkie)and cooking. My favorite cookbook is Joy of Cooking and I am addicted to watching the food network. I love Jamie Oliver's style. A pet peeve in the kitchen is my husband picking at the food before it's ready. (Maybe I should take that as a compliment!)</p>