Uncle Bill's Marvelous Lasagna
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I developed this recipe many years ago. It is rather lengthy but is worth the effort as it does turn out so good. You may use more cheese if desired.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 2 large sweet red peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large green peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 lb fresh button mushroom, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped small (do not peel)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 48 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, include liquid
- 28 fluid ounces canned tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons dried basil or 4 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh basil
- 6 large dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and chopped coarse
- 2 cups cottage cheese or 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 whole ondine delverde lasagna sheets or 8 whole fresh lasagna sheets
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying, add ground beef and fry until cooked, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain off any fat and discard.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to frying pan, chopped onions and garlic and saute' for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped celery, diced green and red peppers, sliced mushrooms, chopped zucchini, and saute' until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add grated carrots, cover and cook until carrots are limp, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a large cooking pot.
- Add tomatoes including liquid, tomato sauce, parsley, hot pepper flakes and allspice and heat to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in wine and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- FILLING: Squeeze water from spinach and discard.
- Chop spinach small.
- In a mixing bowl, combine spinach, cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, beaten egg, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, mix well and set aside.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Use a 10" x 14" x 2" deep, heavy duty aluminum foil baking dish.
- Layer about 1/2" of prepared sauce over the bottom.
- Place enough lasagna sheets to cover area and press lightly into sauce.
- Layer another 1/2" of prepared sauce.
- Place lasagna sheets over and press lightly into sauce.
- Add spinach filling and level.
- Place lasagna sheets over and press lightly into filling.
- Add another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Layer another 1/2" of prepared sauce over.
- Place another layer of lasagna sheets and press lightly into sauce.
- Add the remaining sauce over and level.
- Sprinkle top generously with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese over.
- If desired, grate a 1/2 cup of Emmentaler Swiss cheese and sprinkle over top.
- Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil being careful not to let foil touch the lasagna.
- Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 425 degrees F.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven, cover and let sit to set for about 5 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into pieces and serve hot.
- Ondine Delverde Lasagna is a brand name and is sold in packages of 15 lasagna sheets and also 3- 8" x 8" aluminum foil pans.
- You can use these pans if desired.
- This lasagna is pre-cooked and does not require any cooking before hand.
- They now make fresh lasagna sheets that do not require pre-cooking.
- You may also use lasagna strips but you will require cooking these.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION