Ultimate Lemon Squares (Nick Malgieri)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Nick Malgieri, Cookies Unlimited; for mom
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons strained lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Butter and line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with buttered parchment or foil.
- Position oven rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350°.
- In a standing mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed.
- Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla; continue beating a minute or two, until light.
- Decrease speed and beat in the flour.
- Spread the dough over the bottom of prepared pan, using a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth it.
- Bake the base for about 20-25 minutes, until golden and baked through.
- While the base is baking, prepare the topping; be careful not to overmix the topping, or it will have a coarse textured foam on the top when baked.
- In a big bowl, whisk the eggs just to break them up.
- Whisk in the sugar, then the lemon juice and zest.
- As soon as the base is baked, remove it from the oven and pour on the topping.
- Immediately return pan to oven and keep baking another 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is set and firm.
- Cool on a rack until completely cooled.
- To cut, use the paper to transfer it to a cutting board and slide a long knife or spatula until it to loosen the paper or foil, then pull away.
- Trim the edges, use a ruler to mark, then cut into 2-inch squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION