Tyler's Ultimate Pumpkin Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
FILLING AND TOPPING
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans
- 4 ounces about one cup cranberries
- 1 (2 1/3 ounce) package amaretti cookies (about 12)
- Make the crust: Combine the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Mix in the cold butter with a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Work in 3 tablespoons ice water until the dough holds together without being too sticky. If it’s still crumbly, add more ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into an 11- to 12-inch circle with a floured rolling pin. Ease into a 9-inch pie pan; press firmly into the bottom and sides. Trim the excess dough, then pinch the edges. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Place a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack and preheat to 375°. Make the filling: Whisk the pumpkin in a bowl with the butter and a pinch of salt. Whisk in 3 eggs and the sugar. Stir in the cream, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Lightly beat the egg white, then brush onto the pastry edges. Carefully place the pie on the preheated baking sheet, lower the oven temperature to 325° and bake until the pie is set but still jiggles slightly, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, toast the pecans in a saute pan. With a knife coarsely chop the pecans, cranberries and cookies; sprinkle over the cooled pie.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!