Tupelo Honey Wings
- Ready In:
- 4 cups canola oil
- 20 fresh chicken wings
- 4 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 cups water
Tupelo Honey Wing Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tupelo honey
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3⁄4 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- bleu cheese salad dressing, for serving
- Make the sauce: Puree the honey, marmalade, hot pepper sauce, and jalapeños in a food processor until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan over medium heat, bring to a simmer, and cook for 1 minute. Add the butter and stir until melted. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Make the wings: Heat the canola oil in a large stockpot or deep fryer over medium heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 350°F In another large pot, combine the wings, orange juice, and water and bring to a boil. Boil the wings for about 10 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through ad no longer pink when pierced or to a temperature of 160°F Transfer the wings with a slotted spoon to paper towels and pat dry. Using a slotted spoon, carefully add the wings to the oil and fry for about 10 minutes, or until crispy golden brown. While the wings are frying, pour the wing sauce into a saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Remove the wings from the oil and drain on paper towels. Place the wings in a large bowl and add the sauce, stirring until well coated. Transfer the wings to a serving platter and serve with the dressing.
- *To Smoke Jalapenos if Desired: Put 2 cups hickory chips in the bottom of a 4-inch deep heavy roasting pan. Cover with water and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain the water and cover the chips with aluminum foil. Place whole peppers on the foil, cover the pan tightly with additional foil, and put in a 450 F oven for about 10 minutes. (The foil will puff up like you’re making Jiffy popcorn.) Turn the oven down to 250 F and cook for 20 to 30 minutes longer. Allow the peppers to cool before removing seeds and membranes. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a stay at home mom to a super spunky little girl. She's only 18 months and already full of personality. <br />I love recipezaar and am just getting into the contests and events. It's really helping me break out of my cooking rut. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to review or post a photo of any of my recipes, good or bad. After all we all have different tastes and suggestions for improvement are always welcome. <br /> <br /><br /><br /><br /></p>