Tuna Vegetable Puff
I have been using sauces, marinates, slurries for years to add special flavors to mundane inexpensive foods. When you must feed 10 to 14 people at one seating, you become very inventive. If I was feeding 10-14,I would make two puffs.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3 eggs, Beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- Pam cooking spray
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or Splenda)
- 1 avocado, peeled, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sour cream (optional)
- In medium mixing bowl, add flour, eggs, milk salt, and oil. Mix well with spoon. Set aside.
- Spray Pam in 2 qt casserole, round or square. I like to use round. Peheat oven 375* Set aside.
- In mixing bowl add tuna, shredded carrot, mushooms, kidney beans.
- In small bowl add white vinegar, water, sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle over the tuna mixture and mix gently.
- In casserole dish, spread one half of flour mixture in dish, make sure that some of it is on the sides.
- Pile tuna mixture in the dish, try to keep it from touching the sides.
- Arange the avocado slices in a circle for round dish in a line for a square dish.
- Drizzle or drop balance of flour mixture on top, spread it gently.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Top crust should be golden brown.
- Set 10 minutes before serving. Slice a few vent holes around the top.
- Serve with sour cream in desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"I have been using sauces, marinates, slurries for years to add special flavors to mundane inexpensive foods. When you must feed 10 to 14 people at one seating, you become very inventive. If I was feeding 10-14,I would make two puffs."
Join The Conversation
Made as directed. This is quite a vegetable-tasting puff! I didn't notice the tuna flavor coming through. I think I'd prefer more seasonings, such as from oregano. It is very festive in appearance and would make a great addition to a brunch buffet table. I loved how wholesome the beans and carrots made this dish, thus giving it a dense, flavorful, and healthful character. Made for Dining on a Dollar recipe contest.