Tortellini Vegetable Soup
A good comfort soup, especially on a chilly or snowy night... It's like a 'warm your soul' soup.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (2tsp)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (21 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 7 1⁄4 ounces cans stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce or 1/4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 1⁄2 ounces cheese-filled egg tortellini
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, picante sauce and basil; bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini; simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper; continue to simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Our family loves this soup! I lost the recipe and was so happy to find something like my original here. I add whatever veggies I have on hand. I also add extra salsa. I cook my tortellini separately and only add whatever I am sure we are going to eat, b/c I don't like mushy pasta. I like to keep a container of tortellini and a container of soup in the fridge for weekday lunches.
Mmmmm...Mmmmmm...Mmmmm! This soup was fabulous and was so easy. I used petite cut tomatoes with garlic and olive oil for the tomatoes and added some red pepper with the green pepper because I had some on hand. The only change I made was to make it in the crockpot. I added all the ingredients (and I used frozen tortellini straight from the freezer) except the green and red peppers and cooked on low for exactly 3 1/2 hours and it was perfect. I added the peppers and stired it up and it was a perfect after church meal to serve for company. They enjoyed it som much that they asked for the recipe! Thanks for sharing it :)