Tortas (Black Beans Chorizo Subs)
This is adapted from a recipe by Rick Bayless. Everytime I think about these subs I feel immediately hungry.
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 crusty rolls
- 2 2 tablespoons ricotta salata or 2 tablespoons feta
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and slices into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons green chili salsa
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add the chorizo. Cook, breaking up, until browned for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the beans, and mash them with a potato masher until everything looks like mashed potatoes.
- Cut the rolls in half, and scrape out some of the bread center to make room for the filling. Fill each roll with half of the chorizo mix, top with the cheese, salsa, and avocado.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Tasty and easy for dinner. I made ours vegan with Soy Chorizo and tofu "feta". I felt it was missing something. . .we thought maybe picked jalapenos on top or other sort of hot pepper. The chorizo is spicy, the avocado and "cheese" were creamy but I think it needs that other layer of vinegary-hotness. Just my opinion :) Perhaps if my salsa verde was medium or hot that would have done the trick. Thanks for posting!Reply