- Ready In:
2 1/2 pounds
- 3⁄4 lb slivered almonds (about 2 3/4 cups)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a shallow baking pan spread almonds in one layer and toast in middle of oven until pale golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Cool nuts and finely chop 1/2 cup.
- Lightly oil a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch metal baking pan.
- Cut butter into 16 pieces and in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan combine with sugar, corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons water.
- Bring mixture to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and boil, stirring occasionally, until thermometer registers 290°F.
- ,about 7 minutes.
- Quickly stir in slivered almonds and immediately pour mixture into baking pan.
- With an offset or wooden spatula quickly spread toffee in an even layer as close to edges of pan as possible.
- Let mixture stand 1 minute (it will still be very hot) and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Let chips melt and with spatula spread chocolate evenly over toffee.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over chocolate, gently pressing them into it.
- Chill toffee until chocolate is firm, at least 2 hours, and up to 2 weeks, covering tightly after 2 hours.
- Break toffee into bite-size pieces and keep chilled to prevent chocolate from melting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.