Tigua Indian Definitive Bowl of Red
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon masa harina, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup water
- cooked beans (optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- bread (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- In a big pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add in beef; cook until browned.
- Add in salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, tomato sauce, and 1 ½ cups water; stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil; decrease heat to a low simmering boil and cook, partially covered, for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add in masa harina mixture; return to low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Serve with beans, rice, or bread on the side: all useful for muffling the heat.
- Also helpful is a tablespoon of sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!