Three-Bean Pasta E Fagioli
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 celery ribs, from the heart, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf (fresh or dried)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup mini penne rigate or 1 cup ditalini
- 1⁄4 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds on an angle
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (a handful)
- grated pecorino romano cheese, for topping
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium to med-high heat.
- Add in the celery, onions, carrot, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and saute for 7-8 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cannellini beans, and chickpeas for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and 3 cups water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in the pasta and simmer in the soup for 5 minutes, then add the green beans and simmer together for 3-4 minutes, until the pasta is al dente and the beans are cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and add the juice and zest of the lemon and parsley; adjust the salt and pepper.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Serve in shallow bowls and sprinkle cheese on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!