Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- nutmeg, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Bring Brussels, lemon juice, salt and water to cover sprouts to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 5-7 minute Drain and keep them warm,.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in the large skilet over medium-high heat, add onion and saute until caramel color. Add apple juice and cook for 2 minute.
- Add apple, garlic, sugar; cook stirring constantly for 5-6 min or until apple is tender. Add water chestnuts, raisins, lemon rind, pepper, nutmeg, more salt to taste and 2 tbs butter; cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minute Gently toss in Brussels sprouts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I found this recipe here on Recipezaar a couple of years ago. I made it and brought it to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving, a meal for 16 people. Everyone raved about it to the point where it is insisted I make it each year! I HATE brussels sprouts but I have to say this is a fantastic recipe - even I eat them! Thanks!!!
These were good and pretty. I used frozen brussels and added a veggie boullion cube to the water with the other ingredients. I really liked the apples and raisins and the crunchy water chestnuts. Over all though the brussels still tasted strong. I think I prefer them masked in a vinegar marinade. But that's a matter of taste. The sweet, soft and crunchy were very nice contrasts.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My cooking comes frome the long line of chefs in the family. Both of my parents are excellent cooks, as well as many members of my family. I never follow the recipe, unless it's baking. I created many many recipes that my friends enjoy and often ask when I'll open my own restaurant... well...some day.... Most of my recipes are healthy. We love fish, vegetables and fruits.