Texas Beef & Rice Hash
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced (thumb nail size)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (thumb nail size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, pintos work too. (drained)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice (Uncle Ben's Long grain, not instant)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, I use low salt version (undrained)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Brown beef, onion, and bell pepper in 1 Tbsp oil.
- Add beans, rice, water, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 30 minutes until rice is done. Stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, and let rest covered 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Serve with a great corn bread and a salad for a complete meal. Parmesan or American cheese slices on top make this really great.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have made a couple of other variations of Texas Hash, but they seemed to be lacking in something. This is by far the BEST I have made yet. I think the kidney beans complete the dish. I will try it with pinto beans next, as I am not a great beg fan of kidney beans. I put american cheese slices one one side and parmasean on the other part. Both were yummy. I used "365 Cornbread" recipe (the best cornbread in the world). This will become a OAMC for my family, it is so easy!