Tex-Mex Tostadas (Lower Fat)
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 4 (8 inch) fat free tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced (fresh or jarred)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans (canned)
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place tortillas on baking sheet; coat both sides with cooking spray. bake 5 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Remove; set aside.
- Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add bell pepper, cook and stir 4 minutes. Add chicken, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook and stir 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add 1/4 cup salsa and green onions; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat; set aside.
- Combine refried beans and remaining 1/4 cup salsa in a microwavable bowl. Cook uncovered at high 1 1/2 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Spread bean mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon chicken mixture and tomato over bean mixture. Garnish with sour cream and add shredded lettuce if you desire.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Full marks even though I used ground beef style veggie crumbles to make these vegetarian, which I'm trying to do more often these days. I've always loved Mexican foods and this is a great way to get that TexMex flavor without the all of that attending fat. How can you bet a top notch yum factor that is still healthy eating!
This was really yummy! I used a corn tortilla & baked it for 400 for 10 minutes till it was nice & crispy. I only made one tostada (for me!) & used 2 tbsp salsa in the meat and 1 tbsp for the beans. I didn't use any tomato or green pepper-didn't have any! I added a little reduced fat mexican cheese & a little more of the seasonings-personal taste! Thank u for sharing this; will make again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am lucky enough to be "living the good life". I have the most wonderful husband and two terrific teenage daughters. We reside in Central Pennsylvania where we have the luck of having four full seasons. Between my husband and myself, we have two full time jobs, three businesses and one part time job. We are very busy, but try to take it easy when we can and enjoy the wonderful life we have been blessed with. Future plans include moving to an inherited 45 acre farm in a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains. This will occur if and when our DD's leave the nest. We love to travel and have enjoyed seeing all of North America and a large portion of the United States together. Since discovering Zaar, I have to say my life has become more flavorful! I have learned that it's easier than I thought to have an organized, well-planned and yet creative and fun kitchen! I love the features of Zaar, but especially enjoy the people. I have become addicted to the forums and now love taking photos of the food I prepare. I am officially a Zaar junky! I've also started taking pictures of most of the recipes I prepare...Here are some of the pics I've taken of dishes that are available at Zaar: <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w155.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/jonesies/442caae0.pbw" height="360" width="480"><a href="http://i155.photobucket.com/redirect/album?action=slideshow&landing=/slideshows&type=3" target="_blank"><img src="http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif" style="float:left;border-width: 0;" ></a><a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/jonesies/?action=view¤t=442caae0.pbw" target="_blank"><img src="http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif" style="float:left;border-width: 0;" ></a> I love most foods. My only dislikes are green peppers and coffee...weird, huh? Been trying to eat and cook healthier for the children and to help control DH's high cholesterol. I enjoy...no...CRAVE anything cheesy, salty and crunchy. Needless to say I dream about nachos in my sleep! <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/cheesesticker.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg"> <a href="http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/tisht/?action=view¤t=tish3.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/tisht/tish3.jpg" border="0" alt="Recipezaar Challenge 2008"></a>