Taste of Louisiana Spiced Bread Braid
photo by Karen Elizabeth
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika, smoked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 egg, mixed
- Place water, oil, paste and cheese in bread machine. Top with flour, place the spices and garlic in one corner, salt and sugar in separate corners. Make a hole in the center and place the yeast.
- Set machine to dough cycle and press start.
- Lightly spray baking pan.
- When dough cycle has finished turn out on to a flour surface.
- Divide into 3 pieces making a rope of each.
- Place each next to each other. Start at center and braid to end and tuck ends under.
- Turn dough around and braid the remaining ropes and tucks ends under.
- Place the bread on the oiled pan cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove wrap and glaze the bread with the egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Definitely an excellent bread, very easy to prepare in the breadmaker, DH says its the best Looking bread I've made so far, and the taste is excellent too! I was worried it might be a little 'hot', but not at all, just a pleasant tang. mine is also a lovely colour, a sort of - pale coral! And great texture. I have this for sandwiches today, filled with blue cheese and tomato, very nice! We will make this again, thank you Rita!