Tamale Pie - Mom's
photo by Jb Tyler, TX
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Brown beef, onions, garlic, and green pepper - drain any fat. (You can substitute diced, cooked chicken at this point for the beef, just brown the onions, garlic and green pepper) Add tomato sauce and corn, cummin, olives and salt. Mix and simmer 20 minutes. Add cheese and stir til melted, cover and remove from heat.
For cornmeal topping:
- Mix meal and 1 t. salt into cold water. Cook until like mush. Stir in butter.
- Pour meat mixture into a large baking dish and top with meal mixture.
- Bake at 375 Degrees F for 20 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Love to cook, my daughters do also. I was introduced to RecipeZaar by my oldest DD and I am addicted to it. <br /><br />I live in East Texas, and sometimes some of the exotic ingredients in some of the recipes I want to make present quite a challenge - <br /><br />I started cooking early and have always enjoyed finding new recipies and making menus - but RecipeZaar has taken this to a whole new level. <br /><br />Pick A Chef Banner: <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><br />I Was Adopted banner: <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /></p>