Szechuan Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup jasmine rice or 2/3 cup other aromatic rice
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1⁄3 cup sliced scallion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 6 ounces snow peas, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup canned baby corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into 2-inch squares
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, blended with
- 1 tablespoon water
- In medium covered saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat and simmer until all of water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together hoisin sauce, sherry, honey, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 cup water; set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add scallions, garlic and ginger, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and carrots, and saute until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add snow peas, baby corn and water chestnuts, and cook, stirring frequently, until snow peas are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add hoisin mixture and tofu, bring to a boil and cook until tofu is hot, about 1 minute. Stir in cornstarch mixture, bring to a boil and boil until sauce is lightly thickened, about 1 minute. Serve stir-fry on top of jasmine rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!