Sweet-Sour Meatballs for the Crockette
This recipe is adapted from the fall 2006 edition of Cooking for 2. It is prepared in a crockette or 1 1/2 qt crockpot and makes a deliciously quick meal for a small family.
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 15mins
- 12 -16 fully cooked frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
- hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Place the thawed meatballs in the slow cooker and pour the prepared sauce over, stirring to coat.
- Add the green pepper and onions, cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- The last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the pineapple.
- Stir and serve over the hot cooked rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I prepared these in my little crockette. It was nice to use this crock for more than just keeping things warm! I did have to turn this off much sooner, since it was really thick at about 2 hours. I added a small can of crushed pineapple to mine instead of the chunks but next time I think I will hold off until I have the chunks as I think bigger bites of pineapple would be more tasty. Served this over rice and everyone enjoyed. Thank you.Reply
Very good, only that during early cooking process (crockpot) - all liquid went rapidly away. I therefore advise to go ahead and drain the pineapple, and add the juice to the 1st step along with 1/4 cup apple juice as well as a 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic (this makes a nice sauce to serve with the meatballs and veggies/pineapples - over rice)Reply