Sweet Potato Soup
A dash of cayenne added just before serving makes this soup.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream (optional) or plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- fresh tarragon (to garnish, optional, optional) (optional) or fresh parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- 1 dash cayenne (optional)
- Combine the stock, sweet potatoes, celery, onion, bay leaf, and tarragon in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf, puree the soup in batches in an electric blender or food processor, and return to the pot. Add the half-and-half, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped herbs if desired. Don't forget the freshly ground black pepper, and some goat cheese on top might also be a nice contrast to the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This soup is fantastic! I chose to use yams (just my preference). I even added a dash of cayenne, as you suggested in your introduction. After pureeing, when I added the first cup of half and half, I decided to leave out the second cup of half and half because it would have been to thin for me. It really is wonderful with a dallop of sour cream. Thanx for a great soup recipe. I'll make this again.Reply