Sweet Potato Scones, the Best (Diabetic Changes Given)
photo by lucid501
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar (1/8 c Splenda Brown Sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter (Heart Healty Margarine)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (1/4 c EggBeaters)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potatoes and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; with lightly floured hands, knead dough 10-12 times.
- Pat into an 8-in. circle.
- Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in apart on a baking sheet lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 16-21 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So good there is no photo as they were finished off pre photo. Made the diabetic version and had to increase bake time to 25 minutes. Will increase the Splenda brown to a 1/4 cup next time. These warm tasty treats are good plain, even better with a little butter and as Annacia said pair oh so well with coffee. Thanks so much for the post.