Sweet Potato Cupcakes
photo by Anjonai B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) can sweet potatoes, mashed (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 cups cream cheese frosting (1 recipe)
- finely shredded orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line twenty four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beating until combined (batter will be thick).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 1 minute. Remove from pan a cool completely.
- Place Cream Cheese Frosting in large resealable plastic bag. Cut a 1/4-inch opening in one corner of bag. Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with orange peel.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: In large mixing bowl beat one 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened, and 2/3 cup butter, softened, with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons bourbon or milk and beat until combined. Beat in 8 cups powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth and of good piping consistency. (Makes 4 1/3 cups).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I wanted to make something different & unique for Thanksgiving so I decided on this recipe and they are fantastic! My Hubby and I just had one together and incredible! I changed it a little bit. Instead of the 1/2 tsp. of Vanilla, I used Maple Flavor instead. Also, I have my own cream cheese icing. You can use 1 whole 8 oz. block of cream cheese room temp, 1 whole container of cool whip & 3/4 c. sugar (mix together & add a few good shakes of cinnamon. Icing cupcakes and sprinkle with light brown sugar. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful recipe! Happy Thanksgiving!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in middle Tennessee with my husband of 2 years. We're both from different areas of the country, bringing together different cooking styles/preferences as a result. I absolutely love cooking, and enjoy learning new techniques and recipes that suite both our palates. I also enjoy sharing recipes that I have found to please even some of the pickiest eaters, making it a win-win situation for everyone. As far as cook books go, there are a couple of out-of-print ones that my Mom used on our family when I was young, that I dearly enjoy. I would love to have a cookbook filled with my Grandmother's recipes, but unfortunately they were mostly in her head when she passed away. I collect mostly vegetarian cookbooks, since I am one, but only ones that I've perused first to ensure their success in our household - and on our taste buds. I work in an art gallery primarily in art restoration, which is very fulfilling and matches the degree that I graduated with. I enjoy drawing, reading, photography, and collecting children's book illustrations...as well as cooking of course!