These are tasty meatballs that can be served as an appetizer or as a meal over rice or noodles. Cut recipe out of the Milwaukee Journal.
- Ready In:
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground lean pork
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbs butter.
- Add onions and saute, stirring often until soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer combine bread crumbs and water; let stand until soft; about 1-2 minutes.
- Add reserved onions along with beef, pork, egg yolks, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Beat on low speed until smooth.
- Turn mixer to high and beat until mixture is light in color and fluffy; about 10 minutes.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 4 Tbs butter.
- Cook meatballs in batches of about 15 at a time until brown on all sides.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towel before removing to a warmed serving platter
- Cover to keep warm.
- When all meatballs are cooked, reduced heat to low and add flour to skillet.
- Cook, stirring until lightly browned.
- Slowly add beef stock
- Cook, whisking until gravy is thick and smooth.
- Strain if desired.
- Pour gravy over meatballs and serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The taste of the meatballs is excellent. Loved the nutmeg and allspice. I'd never used a mixer to mix meatballs, so this was a first for me. I found the meatballs very fluid, and I was afraid they would fall apart in the skillet. But they kept their shape very well, and tasted wonderful. The gravy/sauce was a little "beef broth" tasting, so I added some nutmeg to it and also tossed in some fat free half and half. Served over noodles for a delicious meal. Made for Photo Tag. Thanks for sharing!!1Reply