Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
A mixture of several recipes that I found to my taste. I hope you like it too. It may be made ahead and frozen or eat some and freeze some for later.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- Grease 9X13 dish.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring lg.
- pot salted water to boil.
- Core cabbage and put it in the pot, cover and boil gently for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Saute' onion and garlic in butter til soft.
- Add tomato sauce, water, allspice, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes remove about 15 outer leaves of cabbage and set aside for wrapping rolls.
- Chop remaining cabbage coarsely and spread over the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over cabbage and lightly salt and pepper it.
- Put 3/4 sauce into a mixing bowl with the rice and beef and mix well.
- Divide filling into approximately 12 parts and roll each in a leaf.
- Place them seam side down on the chopped cabbage.
- Spoon a little of remaining sauce on each roll.
- Cover top with remaining leaves and bake for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
this wasn't to bad. My first attempt at doing this. So needless to say my better half was worried. LOL! Kind of has a Sweet & Sour taste to it. It was a bit to sweet for even me so I may cut down on the Sugar next time. Ah and yes a big head of Cabbage is highly recommended. Also since I didn't have fresh garlic I used about 1 Tbsp of miniced Garlic.Reply