Stovetop Green Bean Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Onion and cremini mushrooms sauteed in butter infuse the creamy sauce atop this classic dish with rich flavor. Prepared in a mere 30 minutes, there are plenty of reasons this dish is a tradition
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb green beans
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 large sweet onion
- 2 reg. package cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (ground red)
- 1⁄4 cup French-fried onions (optional)
- Heat large covered saucepot salted water to boiling on high. Add green beans; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well and transfer to serving dish. (Beans can be made ahead. Cool, cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat before proceeding.).
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat oil and margarine on medium until margarine melts. Add onion, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pinch freshly ground black pepper. Cook 6 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook 8 minutes or until tender and juices have released and begun to evaporate, stirring occasionally.\.
- Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring, then add milk in slow, steady stream, stirring. Heat to boiling and cook 2 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in thyme, cayenne, and pinch salt. Spoon over green beans and top with onions if desired.
To Make 12 Servings:
- Step 1: Use 3 pounds beans.
- Step 2: 2 tablespoons each oil and margarine, 1/2 large onion (10- to 12-ounce), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Step 3: 4 packages mushrooms (2 pounds), 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 14 minutes.
Step 4: 1/4 cup flour, 2 cups milk, 2 teaspoons thyme, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup fried onions. To Make 20 Servings:
- Step 1: Use 5 pounds beans.
- Step 2: 7-quart saucepot, 3 tablespoons each oil and margarine, 1 jumbo onion (1 pound), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Step 3: 6 packages mushrooms (3 pounds), 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 20 minutes.
- Step 4: 1/3 cup flour, 3 cups milk, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup fried onions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION