Star Gazy Pie
photo by Cecily Parsley
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Gut, clean and bone the fish, leaving on the heads and tails. Finely chop the onion. Chop the bacon into 1/4" squares. Cut the lemon in half; set two slices of lemon aside for decoration. Squeeze and save the juice. Finely grind the lemon rind. Boil the eggs until soft, not hard. When cooled, cut eggs into small dice.
- Thaw pastry and cut into 2 equal halves. Roll one piece out to line the bottom of an 8" glass pie plate. cut off overlapping edges, and brush edges with milk or water to ensure the pastry lid will stick in place.
- Then place all chopped ingredients, with seasoning, into the lined pie dish. Cover with the pther rolled-out pastry lid, trimming overlap and crimping edges together.
- Carefully cut slits into top pastry lid, hold open with a knife blade and gently push the whole fish into these slots, leaving just the heads and tails showing. Add lemon juice and then seal up the slits. Brush the now completed pie with a beaten egg.
- Place in middle oven for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve piping hot with a parsley sprig and lemon garnish and new potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Left to my own devices, I could happily live on appetizers, dim sum, sandwiches and side salads .I gravitate toward a low-fat, clean eating, graze-as-you-go way of life. I am no longer entirely left to myself, as it happens. My partner and my picky teenager each have their different tastes. Quite a challenge.</p> 8728230"