- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the inside of an 8" square baking dish.
- In a zipper bag, crush up the Cheez-Its.
- Chop the squash and onion, not too thin. I don't like to use chunks for this, I like medium-thin slices.
- Boil the squash and onion with plenty of salt and pepper until the onion is transparent and the squash is translucent, about 5 minutes or so.
- Drain vegetables.
- Press the Cheez-Its into the bottom of the baking dish to make a crust.
- Add the squash and onion all in one layer on top of the Cheez-Its.
- Top with cheddar cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes, or until hot through and cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am amazed at how great this casserole was for having just a few basic ingredients. The yellow squash at the store wasn't looking too good, so I went ahead and used only zucchini. Also, I can no longer seem to find the hot and spicy Cheez-its in the stores around here, but I did use the new Pepper Jack Cheez-its. Anyway, this casserole came out great. This recipe enhanced the flavor of the zucchini, which often gets overpowered in casserole recipes. Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an attorney who loves to cook and bake. I overdo it on at least one kitchen project per year, like elaborate Christmas cookie projects or highly involved cakes. My husband is also an excellent cook (actually, short of baking and sauces, he is better than I am!).